June Lake 2016

June Lake 2016

Friday, January 22, 2016

Luscious Snow

My story begins near Palm Springs a week ago.  The aerial tramway carried me and my Nordic skis up to 8,500 feet on the slope of Mt San Jacinto.  I hope you will keep secret the wonders I am about to share, for if general Angelinos learn of this and make viral the white wilderness so close to their homes, they will spoil it.














I wish she were my daughter, this small maker of snowmen and admirer of my long skis.  I met her and her mother near the top of the tram.

















She watched my easy glide over deep snow where she can only trudge clumsily in getting to the top of a little hill before sliding down on something like a garbage can lid.  Her wide eyes wanted my Nordic skis, on which I slide both uphill and down.










I have learned much about wilderness travel over the years, and suddenly her interest in how easily I do it dredges up the old loneliness.  She would learn quickly if I taught her, and then she would surpass me.  Perhaps when I am old she would tolerate my slowness, where I have been intolerant of slower partners my own age. 







But having grown older than that option allows, I left her there and made new tracks into the snowy woods, among old trees, making new memories with old granite.  Both granite and trees wear new white wedding dresses, the likes of which I have never worn, and now with the baggage of too much love for wilderness, probably never will. 













Please stay tuned.  The story does not end here.  Sunday, I go to June Lake for five days, where snow is four feet deep.  My skis are waxed, and snowshoes ready too.




9 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. I think the colder it is the warmer your thoughts and finer your expression. Lovely on the snow, snowman snow woman and little girl. On our way to Santa Barbara in our new sleigh. Listening to My Mammy sung by Al Jolson all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al Jolson sang at winter Garden Theater in Manhattan. I tried to become a speed skater, ice skating, at Pasadena Winter Garden. Your sleigh, my skis—it’s getting cold around here. Time for some warm-up writing.

      Delete
  2. Oh Great White Snowflakes! We were thrilled to have to call Bernie, the snow plow, in Lake Arrowhead for the first time in years! It has melted quite a bit but winter is not over yet. Enjoy the cool mountain air and write up another snow storm! We enjoy your adventures so much! xo Stevie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Great White Arrowhead Lake. Maybe I should go there instead. But June Lake has about five feet as we speak. can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Those Nordic Skis ~ you are an Adventurer ExtraordinAIRe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a easy way to stay on top of snow when it is loose and five feet deep. a greater adventure would be to do in just boots.

      Delete