June Lake 2016

June Lake 2016

Monday, January 25, 2016

Fire and Ice

Silver Lake above the magma



Sunset

Morning




I arrived in June Lake Village last evening and settled in for five days.  Two pictures from my window.











July, 2010

Today




In 2010, as part of what I called “Sharon’s Summer,” I came here to start hiking into the Sierras and came out in Yosemite Valley six days later.  Today I went back to two places where I had taken pictures in 2010.  They are both at Silver Lake which is a few miles from June Lake.  The comparison of summer and winter is quite striking.  








July, 2010






I was happy to find this lodgepole pine still standing, having made it through six winters and summers since I last saw it.

















I call this Fire and Ice because even though Silver Lake has a thick sheet of ice on its surface, covered with a thicker layer of snow, it, like all the lakes in this region is underlain with magma not too far down.  liquid rock is near the surface, and it sometimes sends warm plumes of water up into an otherwise cold lake. 











So when I ventured out onto Silver Lake on Nordic skis, caution seemed wise.  The skis distribute my weight over the snow and ice, reducing the pressure on any one spot.  My only concern was the chance of a thin spot in the ice, weakening its support. 








I stayed close to the lake’s edge just in case.  And sure enough, there it was, a place where the snow had melted and maybe the ice too.  I inched around it, poking with the ski poles before each step.  








Why, you ask.  Why not just stay off of such a lake.  No one else had been on it, or I would have seen their tracks.  I’m still working on that.  Will get back to you.

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous.... just a quick note from work but wanted you to know I'm listening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for listening, Lois. Most people answer my email, rather than here on the blog. I'm happy you do it this way.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and such sensitive views. I love the lodgepole pine two views especially so moving to return and be able to see that exquisite view changing, its branch like an arm welcoming you...

    all these years
    only the view has changed
    it has grown cold
    but your warm eyes
    and arms welcoming

    It would be beautiful to show somd of these photos in a gallery show including the pair showing the fire and ice

    we all walkon thin ice
    this life of ours
    testing
    time and place to tell
    if it might hold ou love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathabela for you poetic renderings of my experiences. It’s a joy to see that. I made a couple of tweaks on the last one, which I really like and will use in any opportunity to present this adventure.

      we all walk on thin ice
      this life of ours
      testing
      time and place to tell
      if it might hold our love

      Delete
  3. You are one brave soul! Your photos reflect the serenity we don't feel in the city, I can hear the stillness .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stillness is audible, Erika, and inspiring. It brings absence of thought and pure realization. Without wilderness I would go crazier than I am.

      Delete
  4. You are not alone
    you meeting you
    two of 'you' frolicking
    one breath of fire
    one breath of ice
    stillness 'breathing'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting me
      that odd person
      so different
      she can't explain
      herself

      Thanks for inspiration, Junnie.

      Delete
    2. no explanation ~ ain't worth the worry"
      oddity is what calls us all together
      Us odd ones ~ diverse and tempting normalcy
      to rear up and exclaim
      "I don't know why I like her ~ I just DO"

      Delete
    3. Thanks fellow odd one. Together we toddle.

      Delete